Sunday, March 3, 2013

Confidence Pool: Leaderboard Visualizations: Part I

As I've been doing for the last few years, I participated in a football confidence pool last season. For the uninitiated, the basic premise of a confidence pool is that you not only need to predict the winner of a match-up, but also need to assign points to each pick based on how confident you are.

As the season progressed, and my performance oscillated wildly, I started thinking whether there were any trends or patterns in people's week-to-week performance. This is, after all, based on picks against the spread, where even the "experts" do only slightly better than 50/50.

I had a couple ideas in mind, and then I stumbled upon a Kaggle challenge to provide visualizations of leaderboards. After reviewing them, and noticing that quite a few of them used variants of a line chart, which could quickly become confusing with large data sets, I gravitated towards a heatmap representation provided by one participant.


What I liked about this was that it was pretty easily digestible and that you could start to identify trends in performance over the course of the competition. In the interactive version you can click on individual entries to see the performance over time of a specific entry highlighted.

So I thought I would do something similar with the leaderboard of the confidence pool, and see if there were any trends. I'll share my results in the next post.