Thursday, March 14, 2013

Confidence Pool: Leaderboard Visualizations: Part III

I had recreated the leaderboard visualization I had seen on Kaggle, and kept playing with the data set a little bit more. I started wondering how individuals performed week-to-week as compared to the weekly averages and quartiles. So I plotted this on a graph that showed the maximum, minimum, average, and 1st and 3rd quartile ranges. This was somewhat interesting, with some people oscillating wildly above and below the average (TW1, who placed 11th):


... and a couple others staying fairly close to the mean throughout the season (YO1, who placed 4th):


But I still felt that it was difficult to see how close (or far) participants were from winning, so instead of doing a week-to-week chart, I made it cumulative. This became interesting, and I saw how the winner, BL1, ran away with the pool pretty quickly:


For comparison, you can see how far away the fourth place participant, YO1, was from first place:


So this was definitely a fun data set to work with. In an upcoming post, I'll provide the Excel files along with an explanation of some of the VBA used to make the spreadsheet interactive, so people who are interested can play around with it.